Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Building Rapport Is A Learned Behavior

I found the column by Anita Bruzzese, ‘On the Job:  Building rapport is a learned behavior’, to be very interesting and relevant, partly because of my psychology background, and partly because of my fascination with the FBI!  But mostly because I can relate to this, due to my many years of interviewing experience as a Recruiter.  I have found that interviewing is definitely a learned behavior that takes times to develop, both on the interviewee and interviewer sides.  I will admit, I have griped after an interview where the candidate talked too much, made odd comments, didn’t read my body language (aka, ‘establishing time constraints’ as Robin Dreeke describes in the article), etc.  But I have the unfair advantage of eight years of interviewing experience, whereas most people have only gone on a handful in their lifetime.  I have learned it’s as equally important for me to do my part to make the candidate feel comfortable and less nervous/threatened, so that they can do their part and answer my questions effectively.  Interviewing is a nerve-wracking experience for most people, so reading this article before-hand could really help ease some jitters.  And if you’re about to interview with me, just start talking about animals (especially kitties) or Michael Kors and you’re in like Flynn.  ;)
-Ali Kairies
In many fictional stories, the good guy always manages to establish some kind of rapport with the bad guy.  This causes the villain to spill his guts, revealing all the necessary details needed for the good guy to avert worldwide disaster and save mankind.  It's not always that way in the real world, however. While the good guys in movies or television make it seem easy to establish a connection with a stranger, it can be intimidating just thinking of trying to strike up a conversation with someone you don't know, such as a hiring manager or a potential customer….

No comments:

Post a Comment